Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Kaiden's Birth Story

Kaiden was due on June 22, 2015.  Unfortunately, he did not get the memo that we were expecting him that day, so he decided to wait for us to take matters into our own hands on June 26.

Leading up to my due date, I was progressing nicely upon getting a cervical check at 39 weeks.  I was already about 3 centimeters dilated and 50% effaced.  Considering I was about 3 cm when I was in active labor with Kyla, I got my hopes up that baby Kaiden would be arriving sooner than expected.  At 38 weeks, I began to get extreme discomfort in my hips and groin area, making simple tasks incredibly difficult.  I was ready to have that baby!

When my due date came along, the doctor said I was 5 centimeters dilated and 60% effaced and the water sack was bulging.  He truly did not understand how I wasn't in labor right then!  He suggested because I was already 4 days past my due date, I could go to the hospital and have my water broken.  We talked about it on the way home and we decided that's what we would do because my parents were here to help with Kyla, and I was beyond ready to have my baby.

So on the afternoon of June 26, we drove to Miami Valley Hospital in downtown Dayton and checked in effortlessly.  (This was quite a different experience that having to go to triage with Kyla while leaking fluid all over and having contractions every few minutes!)  The nurse walked us to our labor room and there we waited for Kat, the midwife on call, to come in and break my water.  While they were getting me ready, the IV was administered.  I have to say THAT was the most painful part of this entire story!  The nurse said she was "really good" at putting in an IV, however, she blew the vein she chose and it hurt SOOO bad!!! Tears burst forth from my eyes and I could not control my weeping.  Ouch!  I did not expect that and Matt didn't either because he was sitting across the room looking at his phone when it happened.  When he looked up and saw tears streaming down my face, he ran to my side to hold my hand.

After about an hour of fetal monitoring, Kat came in and broke my water.  At first, she tried to use a hook type instrument but she couldn't quite puncture the water sack that way so she ended up using a different tool to put a little hole in the water sack.  I was expecting a big gush of water, but I didn't feel anything!  I was even afraid that she didn't really even break the sack, but that wasn't the case.

Contractions did not start for 15 minutes.  Then contractions were coming about every 7 minutes.  I felt a gush of water and then more water with each contraction.  I labored naturally and moved around the room, bounced on the ball, and watched tv for about 3 hours before having the epidural administered.  The contractions were becoming quite painful by the time the epidural was in.  Once in, I was still able to feel pain in my lower right abdominal area for quite a while, but it was tolerable.  Eventually after turning over on my other side, the medicine kicked in more.

I laid in bed and rested until 9:15 (2 hours after getting the epidural) and Missy came in to check me and she said I was ready to have my baby!  I pushed for 20 minutes (about 3-4 rounds of 3 pushes each) and then Kaiden Matthew Focht was born at 9:34 pm.  Missy said he "felt solid" when she laid him on my chest.  And solid he was at 9 lbs 4 oz!  He was 20 3/4 inches long.  He had a little mohawk and a funny little cry that was much louder than our first baby.

I could not have asked for a more perfect labor and delivery!  (Well, I could have been pregnant for a few less days, but hey, I in fact was not pregnant forever!)  The whole experience (besides the IV) at the hospital was so relaxing and enjoyable.  I even liked getting to experience some hard contractions before getting the epidural.  The nurses were great and Missy delivered my first child as well so it was wonderful getting to have her again.

The pregnancy was not fun.  Yes, I loved feeling him move and I loved my cute little belly for a while, but actually holding my sweet baby boy for the first time was AMAZING.  Every birth story is different and I would not trade mine for the world.  Love you, Kaiden!










No comments:

Post a Comment